Smriti Mandhana, the dynamic left-handed Indian cricketer, has carved a prominent niche for herself in the world of cricket with her elegant batting style and impeccable skills. Born on July 18, 1996, in Mumbai, India, Smriti’s journey from a young girl with a passion for cricket to becoming one of India’s finest women cricketers is nothing short of inspiring. This biography explores her life, her cricketing career, and the impact she has made on the sport.
Early Life and Background:
Smriti Mandhana was born into a middle-class family in Mumbai, where cricket is not just a sport but a religion. Her father, Shrinivas Mandhana, worked as a chemical distributor, and her mother, Smita Mandhana, was a schoolteacher. Smriti’s brother, Shravan Mandhana, also shared her love for cricket.
Smriti’s tryst with cricket began at the tender age of six, thanks to her father’s encouragement. He introduced her to the sport and recognized her natural talent. Soon, Smriti joined a local cricket academy, where she honed her skills under the guidance of coaches who saw immense potential in her.
Cricketing Journey of Smriti Mandhana:
Smriti Mandhana’s journey in women’s cricket took off when she made her debut for the Indian national team in 2013 at the age of 17. Her entry into international cricket was marked by a sparkling performance against Bangladesh in the Women’s World Twenty20, where she scored an impressive 39 runs.
However, it was during the 2017 ICC Women’s World Cup that Smriti gained widespread recognition. Her consistent and fearless batting at the top of the order played a pivotal role in India’s journey to the finals. She emerged as one of the tournament’s top run-scorers, amassing 377 runs, including a sublime century against the West Indies. Despite India finishing as runners-up, Smriti’s performances earned her accolades and established her as one of India’s cricketing sensations.
Smriti Mandhana’s achievements in international cricket are numerous. She has been a crucial part of the Indian Women’s Cricket Team, contributing consistently with both bat and in the field. Some of her notable achievements include:
- ICC Women’s Cricketer of the Year: In 2018, Smriti Mandhana was awarded the prestigious Rachael Heyhoe Flint Award by the International Cricket Council (ICC), recognizing her as the Women’s Cricketer of the Year.
- Arjuna Award: In 2018, she received the Arjuna Award, one of India’s highest sporting honours, for her outstanding contributions to cricket.
- Wisden Leading Women’s Cricketer in the World: In 2019, she became the first Indian woman to receive this honour, solidifying her status as a global cricketing sensation.
- Batting Records: Smriti has numerous records to her name, including being the youngest Indian to score a century in a Women’s T20 International and the fastest Indian woman to score 1,000 runs in ODIs.
Off the Field:
Off the cricket field, Smriti Mandhana is known for her humility and passion for the game. She has become a role model for aspiring young cricketers, especially girls, and has actively advocated for the growth of women’s cricket in India. Smriti’s commitment to promoting the sport has made her a respected ambassador for Indian cricket.
Smriti Mandhana’s journey from a young girl with a cricket dream to a celebrated cricketer on the international stage is a testament to her dedication, talent, and determination. Her elegant stroke play, remarkable achievements, and unwavering commitment to the sport have made her a cricketing icon in India and around the world. As she continues to inspire the next generation of cricketers, Smriti Mandhana’s legacy in Indian cricket remains secure, and her story is one of inspiration and excellence.
1. Who is Smriti Mandhana?
- Smriti Mandhana is an accomplished Indian cricketer, known for her outstanding skills as a left-handed batswoman. She has represented the Indian Women’s Cricket Team and has made significant contributions to the sport.
2. When and where was Smriti Mandhana born?
- Smriti Mandhana was born on July 18, 1996, in Mumbai, India.
3. What are some of Smriti Mandhana’s notable achievements in cricket?
- Smriti Mandhana has achieved several milestones in her cricketing career, including winning the ICC Women’s Cricketer of the Year award in 2018 and being the fastest Indian woman to score 1,000 runs in ODIs. She’s also received the Arjuna Award for her contributions to the sport.
4. How did Smriti Mandhana start her cricketing journey?
- Smriti Mandhana’s cricketing journey began at the age of six when she started playing cricket. She joined a local cricket academy and received early guidance from her father, Shrinivas Mandhana, who recognized her talent and passion for the sport.
5. What impact has Smriti Mandhana made on women’s cricket in India?
- Smriti Mandhana has had a significant impact on women’s cricket in India. Her consistent performances, stylish batting, and achievements have inspired young girls to take up cricket. She has become a role model and an advocate for the growth of women’s cricket in the country.
6. What is Smriti Mandhana’s net worth?
- Smriti Mandhana’s net worth is valued at Rs 32 crore. She is currently holding the top Grade A contract with the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and earns INR 50 lakh per year as well. Along with this, she has played in WPL, and other foreign T20 leagues and leverages various brand endorsements as well. The Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) bought her for a whopping Rs 3.4 crore also for WPL.
7. Who is Smriti Mandhana’s partner/boyfriend?
- Swashbuckling Indian opener Smriti Mandhana is dating Bollywood singer Palak Muchhal’s brother Palash Muchhal, who is also a singer, composer and director. However, none of them has accepted their relationship openly but their sneaking pictures and SM tattoo on Palash’s arm give proof of their togetherness as well.