The year 2022 had a lot of cricket all around the year and saw some terrific performances, especially during the world cup. This year also saw some of the well-established and seasoned players like Mithali Raj, Rachael Haynes, Jhulan Goswami, Mignon Du Perez, and Katey Martin calling an end to their great careers. This is going to be a great loss for the sporting world, especially for women’s cricket.
Here is the list of players who have hung up their boots in 2022:
1) Mithali Raj – She was dubbed as one the greatest cricketers who have graced this beautiful game during her generation. Mithali was the face of the women’s cricket team for years and spread the sport and awareness of the women’s team through her achievements. She hung her boots on June 22, 2022. She ended her career having represented the women in Blue with 232 One Day Internationals (ODI), 12 tests, and 89 T20s with a career spanning nearly 23 years from 1999-2022. The former Indian captain holds the record of the highest run-scorer in women’s cricket. She is also the first women cricketer to represent her country in the world cup on six occasions.
2) Rachael Haynes – The Australian 35-year-old announced her retirement on 14th September 2022. A left-handed batter who was the former vice-captain of the Australian team has six world championships under her belt. She was very reliant and dependable for the team and has contributed to 167 international appearances with around 4000 runs and chipping in 13 wickets as a part-time left-arm pacer.
3) Jhulan Goswami – The legendary Indian pacer who has an experience of 284 international games has bagged 355 wickets for her team. She was a key member of the Indian squad and along with her bowling, she has contributed with the bat on multiple occasions. She was one of the most experienced cricketers and called it quits at the age of 40 on 24th September 2022 after her last game in the iconic Lord’s. She rose to the number one position among bowlers on various occasions and was in the top 10 for seventeen years.
4) Mignon Du Perez – The South African international announced her retirement from the One Day International and Test match on 7th April, soon after the team’s exit from the 50-over world cup. She had recently announced her retirement from the T20 internationals on 8th December. She essayed the role of a middle-order batter and played 269 international matches and has 5684 runs under her kitty.
5) Katey Martin – The right-handed wicketkeeper batter from New Zealand had represented her country in 103 one-day internationals, 95 Twenty20 Internationals, and one test match. She had a long illustrious career of 21 years from 2003 – 2022. She ended her career by playing her last match (ODI) at her home country in the Christchurch stadium on 26th March 2022 against Pakistan.
6) Anya Shrubsole – The pacy right-arm English bowler who could swing the ball at ease in both ways announced her retirement after 14 years of international cricket on 12th April. She was an important and key member of the world cup winning squad. She won the Most promising young cricketer award in 2008. She has over 220 international wickets in her kitty.
7) Lizelle Lee – The South African cricketer known for her destructive and hard-hitting abilities announced her retirement on 8th July. She had played in the middle order for the proteas. She retired due to a lack of proper fitness. She has accumulated over 5000 runs in 184 matches across all formats in her international career spanning 9 years.
8) Deandra Dottin – The clean-hitting right-hand batter and the right-arm fast bowler was part of the West Indian team. She hung her boots on 1st August from all forms of international cricket, citing the reservations within the team environment. She has scored above 6400 runs in 270 matches and has bagged 134 wickets in all formats.
9) Amy Satterthwaite – On May 25, the 36-year-old, who had a game to match the best in the world, announced her retirement from all forms of international cricket. She has played in 145 ODI matches for New Zealand, scoring 4639 runs and taking 50 wickets. In 111 T20I outings, she has scored 1784 runs and has taken 26 wickets.
These cricketers who had graced this beautiful sport are the ones who announced their retirement in the year 2022, bringing an end to the older generation of talented players. These ladies have been legends in advancing the sport in their respective nations after highly regarded careers. The legacy they have left behind will be carried over by the future generation which looks promising in the field of Women’s cricket.